English Language Study Application
This option is for students who wish to join the NC State Intensive English Program directly as a full-time student (without conditional admission to an undergraduate or graduate degree program).
Students visiting Raleigh with an F2, J2, or B visa can enroll in 3-22 hours per week of instruction as a part-time IEP student.
|Deadline||Semester Entry||Semester Start Date|
*Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details before submitting an application for the summer semester. Summer is best for new students who are very motivated and have at least a TOEFL iBT 70, IELTS Academic 6.0, Duolingo 90, or who place into our Levels 5 and 6. Level 4 is typically not offered during the summer due to low demand. The summer session is recommended for returning students due to its shortened schedule and even more intensive nature. However, we do occasionally accept new students into the 10-week summer session.
Standardized Test Options*
- IEP online application
- Copy of passport identification page
- Nonrefundable $150 IEP application fee
- High school diploma or proof of college courses (in English)
- Proof of English Proficiency (score must be less than one year old):
- Standardized test (minimum TOEFL iBT 50, TOEFL Essentials 6.0, IELTS Academic 5.5, PTE Academic 45, or Duolingo English Test 85)
- IEP online English proficiency test option
Submit information for the following sections ONLY if you need a visa:
- Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR) section of the application (to obtain an I-20)
- Bank statement with proof of funds equal to the amount listed in the CFR section of the application OR a letter of financial guarantee if you are sponsored
Submit only if you are already in the United States:
- Visa Clearance Form (VCF) section of the application
- Supporting documentation
Submit only if you have dependents traveling with you:
- Passport copies for each dependent
- Proof of additional funds as requested in the CFR section of the application
Proof of English Proficiency Options
Standardized Test Options*
|Test Type||Minimum Score Required|
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Essentials||6.0|
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)||50 (iBT) 467 (PBT)|
|IELTS (International English Language Testing System)||5.5|
|PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English)||45|
|Duolingo English Test||85|
Alternative English Proficiency Test Option
For full-time applicants who have never taken a standardized test or who have not taken one within the last calendar year, the IEP offers an alternative English proficiency test option for $60. This online test is designed for students interested in applying directly to the Intensive English Program for English Language Study ONLY*. You will need a computer with high internet speed, a webcam, and a microphone to take this test. The test takes approximately 90 minutes to complete.
*Please note that completion of this test does not guarantee admission to the IEP. You must obtain a minimum overall level of intermediate on your score report and meet all other admission requirements. Scores on this test are ONLY for admission to the IEP. They will NOT be used for admission decisions to any undergraduate or graduate programs at North Carolina State University.
- Your application will not be processed until you have submitted all required documents.
- It takes 7-10 business days to process your application. If you are accepted, you will receive an email when your acceptance packet has been mailed.
- English language students who enter the IEP without conditional admission are not guaranteed admission to a degree program. Once a student is enrolled in the IEP, they are no longer eligible to be considered for future conditional admission to the university. Students should apply directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or the Graduate School to be considered for conditional admission.