In the NC State Pathway Program, students take a combination of IEP courses and undergraduate credit courses at the same time allowing them to earn credits towards their graduation requirements. This program is an option for eligible conditionally admitted undergraduate students. Students must apply for the Pathway Program.
Advantages of a Pathway Program
Earn 4-7 credits while in the IEP
Gradually transition from the IEP to your undergraduate major
Small IEP Pathway classes
Receive language support for credit course(s)
Level 5 Pathway
Level 6 Pathway
- Have at least a TOEFL iBT 75 or an IELTS 6.0*
- Earn 4 credits towards your graduation requirements
- Take one undergraduate credit course in addition to IEP courses
- Calculus I** (MA 141: Science and Engineering track)
*IELTS subscores will be taken into consideration for placement into the Level 5 or Level 6 Pathway Program.
Program of Study
|IEP Core: Writing/Grammar||8||0|
|IEP Core: Integrated Skills for College Success||4||0|
|COM 110: Public Speaking||4.5||3|
|IEP Support COMM 110||2||0|
|IEP Core: Writing/Grammar||10||0|
|IEP Core: Integrated Skills for College Success||3||0|
|MA 141: Calculus I (Science and Engineering Track)||6||4|
|IEP Support MA 141||2||0|
Note: Students who are accepted into the Level 5 Pathway Program will automatically move into the Level 6 Pathway Program after successful completion of the Level 5 Pathway.
(MA 141: Science and Engineering Track)
- Your major may not require MA 141. However, this course will be accepted to fulfill the math requirement for most majors. Check your degree requirements to see what math courses are required for your major.
- If you took Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus AB or BC in high school, check the NC State website to see if your AP test score places you out of MA 141.
In order to be considered eligible for the Pathway Program, you must be conditionally admitted to an undergraduate program of study at NC State.
- Take the NC State Math Placement Test (you will need your unity account information)
- Apply for the Pathway Program
Apply early, seats are limited. Your application is not considered complete until you have taken the Math Placement Test.
- Spaces in Pathway are limited. Not all students who apply will be accepted into the Pathway Program. Students will be evaluated for the Pathway Program on a variety of factors including test scores, completion of all application steps, etc.
- All new students are required to take the online IEP placement test upon arrival to NC State. The results of the placement exam will not affect your acceptance into Level 5 or Level 6 Pathway. However, if the results of the placement test indicate that you might experience difficulties in your Pathway and credit classes, our student advisor will meet with you to explain your options.
- Students that use AP credit to place out of MA 141 are encouraged to enroll in the regular full-time IEP instead of the Pathway Program.
- Students participating in the Pathway Program will be required to sign a Statement of Understanding indicating that they understand the rules, expectations, and costs of the program.
- If admitted, you will receive an I-20 for a Pathway Program from NC State.
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for answers to our most common questions.