Full-time English language students join the Intensive English Program for academic preparation, professional development and/or personal enrichment. They do not already have to be associated with NC State University and can be provided with a student visa to study in the IEP.
Levels of Instruction
5 High Intermediate
6 Low Advanced
New students take a placement test when they arrive to determine their level. Depending on their level, they will take 18 – 23 hours of classes each week.
Early August to early December
Mid-January to first week of May
Mid-May to mid-July
*Level 4 is typically not offered during the summer due to low demand. The summer session is usually recommended for returning students only due to its shortened schedule and intensive nature. Summer is best for motivated new students who have at least a TOEFL iBT 70 or place into our Levels 5 and 6.
- Conversation and Presentation Skills
- Listening and Note-Taking for Academic Lectures
- Academic Reading and Vocabulary Development
- Academic Writing, Research, and Advanced Grammar Usage
- American Life and University Culture
|Class Time (EST)||Monday||Tuesday||Wednesday||Thursday||Friday|
|8:00 - 9:00am||Conversation and Presentation Skills||Listening and Note-Taking for Academic Lectures||Conversation and Presentation Skills||Listening and Note-Taking for Academic Lectures|
|9:00 - 9:30am||Break||Break||Break||Break|
|9:30 -10:30am||Academic Reading & Vocabulary||Academic Reading & Vocabulary||Academic Reading & Vocabulary||Academic Reading & Vocabulary|
|2:00 - 3:30pm||Academic Writing, Research & Advanced Grammar||Academic Writing, Research & Advanced Grammar||Academic Writing, Research & Advanced Grammar||Academic Writing, Research & Advanced Grammar|
- Full-time students take between 20-23 hours of classes each week depending on their level.
- Group projects, individual assignments and nightly homework are assigned and are to be completed outside of class.
- IEP classes usually run anytime between 8am and 5pm. Each level’s schedule is different.
- To advance to the next level, students must pass their current level with a 3.0 GPA and a 90% attendance rate.
Benefits of the IEP
IEP graduates are successful in their academic studies and careers. They have the language, cultural, and academic skills needed to achieve their goals.