We are very happy to announce that the
Fall 2021 IEP semester will consist of both IN-PERSON and online courses.
The university continues to monitor updates in travel restrictions and immigration policy.
Continue to check our website for any updates.
Full-time English language students join the Intensive English Program for academic preparation, professional development and/or personal enrichment. They do not already have to be associated with NC State University and can be provided with a student visa to study in the IEP.
Levels of Instruction
5 High Intermediate
6 Low Advanced
New students take a placement test when they arrive to determine their level. Depending on their level, they will take 20-23 hours of classes each week.
Early August to early December
Mid-January to first week of May
Mid-May to mid-July
*Level 4 is typically not offered during the summer due to low demand. The summer session is usually recommended for returning students only due to its shortened schedule and intensive nature. Summer is best for motivated new students who have at least a TOEFL iBT 70 or place into our Levels 5 and 6.
- Conversation, Presentation and Listening Skills
- Academic Reading and Vocabulary Development
- Academic Writing and Advanced Grammar Usage
- American Life and University Culture
|Class Time (EST)||Monday||Tuesday||Wednesday||Thursday||Friday|
|7:30 - 8:30am||Conversation, Presentation, Listening Skills||Conversation, Presentation, Listening Skills||Conversation, Presentation, Listening Skills||Conversation, Presentation, Listening Skills|
|8:30 - 9:00am||Break||Break||Break||Break|
|9:00-10:00am||Academic Reading & Vocabulary||Academic Reading & Vocabulary||Academic Reading & Vocabulary||Academic Reading & Vocabulary|
|8:00-9:30pm||Academic Writing & Advanced Grammar||Academic Writing & Advanced Grammar||Academic Writing & Advanced Grammar||Academic Writing & Advanced Grammar|
- Full-time students take 18-23 hours of classes each week depending on their level and location.
- Group projects, individual assignments and nightly homework are assigned and are to be completed outside of class.
- Online semesters must consider students studying in many different time zones; class start times may be in the morning and/or evening.
- To advance to the next level, students must pass their current level with a 3.0 GPA and a 90% attendance rate.
Benefits of the IEP
IEP graduates are successful in their academic studies and careers. They have the language, cultural, and academic skills needed to achieve their goals.