Full-time English language students join the Intensive English Program for academic preparation, professional development and/or personal enrichment. They do not already have to be associated with NC State University and can be provided with a student visa to study in the IEP.
Levels of Instruction
5 High Intermediate
6 Low Advanced
New students take a placement test when they arrive to determine their level. Depending on their level, they will take 21-23 hours of classes each week.
Early August to early December
Mid-January to first week of May
Middle of May to middle of July
*Level 4 is typically not offered during the summer due to low demand. The summer session is usually recommended for returning students only due to its shortened schedule and intensive nature. Summer is best for motivated new students who have at least a TOEFL iBT 70 or place into our Levels 5 and 6.
- Conversation and Presentation Skills
- Listening and Note-Taking for Academic Lectures
- Academic Reading and Vocabulary Development
- Academic Writing and Advanced Grammar Usage
- American Life and University Culture
|Class Time (EST)||Monday||Tuesday||Wednesday||Thursday||Friday|
|7:30 - 8:30am||Comm. Skills for the University Classroom||Comm. Skills for the University Classroom||Comm. Skills for the University Classroom||Comm. Skills for the University Classroom|
|8:30 - 9:00am||Break||Break||Break|
|9:00-10:00am||Academic Reading & Vocabulary||Academic Reading & Vocabulary||Academic Reading & Vocabulary||Academic Reading & Vocabulary|
|8:00-9:30pm||Academic Writing & Advanced Grammar||Academic Writing & Advanced Grammar||Academic Writing & Advanced Grammar||Academic Writing & Advanced Grammar|
- Full-time students take 21-23 hours of classes each week depending on their level.
- Group projects, individual assignments and nightly homework are assigned to be completed outside of class.
- Online semesters must consider students studying in many different time zones; classes may be held throughout the day and into the evening.
- To advance to the next level, students must pass their current level with a 3.0 GPA and a 90% attendance rate.
Benefits of the IEP
IEP graduates are successful in their academic studies and careers. They have the language, cultural, and academic skills needed to achieve their goals.