This option is for students who wish to join the NC State Intensive English Program directly as a full-time student (without conditional admission to an undergraduate or graduate degree program).
Spring entry (January)
Summer entry (May)*
Fall entry (August)
*Contact email@example.com for more details before submitting an application for the summer semester. Level 4 is typically not offered during the summer due to low demand. The summer session is usually recommended for returning students only due to its shortened schedule and intensive nature. Summer is best for motivated new students who have at least a TOEFL iBT 70 or place into our Levels 5 and 6.
All applicants submit:
- IEP online application
- Copy of passport identification page
- Nonrefundable $150 IEP application fee
- High school diploma or proof of college courses (in English)
- Proof of English Proficiency (must be less than one year old):
- Standardized test (minimum of an IELTS Academic 5.5, TOEFL iBT 50, or a PTE Academic 45)
- IEP online English proficiency test option
Submit only if you need a visa:
- Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR) to obtain an I-20
- Bank statement with proof of funds equal to the amount written on your CFR OR a letter of financial guarantee if you are sponsored
Submit only if you are already in the United States:
- Visa Clearance Form (VCF) and supporting documentation
Submit only if you have dependents traveling with you:
- Passport copies for each dependent
- Additional information requested in Section 6 of the CFR
- Proof of additional funds as requested in the CFR
Standardized Test Options*
|Test Type||Minimum Score Required|
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)||50 (iBT) 467 (PBT)|
|IELTS (International English Language Testing System)||5.5|
|PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English)||45|
|Duolingo English Test (DET)||85 (prior to July 15, 2019: 28)|
*Test scores must be less than one year old to be accepted for English language study applicants.
Alternative English Proficiency Test Option
For full-time applicants who have either never taken a standardized test or have not taken one within the last calendar year, the IEP offers an alternative English proficiency test option for $40. This online test is designed for students interested in applying directly to the Intensive English Program*.
You will need a computer with high internet speed and a camera (webcam) to take this test. The test takes approximately 90 minutes to complete and must be done during business hours (Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM).
*Please note that completion of this test does not guarantee admission to the IEP. You must obtain a minimum overall level of intermediate on your score report and meet all other admission requirements. Scores on this test are ONLY for admission to the IEP. They will NOT be used for admission decisions to any undergraduate or graduate programs at North Carolina State University.
Where are you in the application process timeline?
The IEP online English proficiency test can be used in place of a standardized test a maximum of 3 months before the start of the summer semester and 6 months before the first day of the fall and spring semesters.
The test can be taken by interested applicants more than 6 months before the start of the semester they are applying for in order to see if the program will be a good fit, however, a TOEFL or IELTS will still have to be submitted with the application if you choose to take the IEP online English proficiency test more than 6 months in advance. Please look at the chart below to determine where you are at in the process.
|Semester||iTEP Determines IEP Suitability*||iTEP Replaces Standardized Test for Application|
Start Date: January 2
|January 3, 2019 - August 3, 2019||August 2, 2019 - November 15, 2019|
Start Date: May 11
|May 13, 2019 - February 10, 2020||February 11, 2019 - April 10, 2020|
Start Date: August 17
|August 18, 2019 - February 16, 2020||February 17, 2020 - July 10, 2020|
Start Date: January 11
|January 10, 2020 -August 9, 2020||August 10, 2020 - November 15, 2020|
*A TOEFL/IELTS score is required to apply.
English proficiency changes over time and if it is not actively used it is lost. For that reason, in order to get an accurate assessment and to ensure that students have enough time to get their immigration documents, this policy has been implemented.
Apply in English
This will take you directly to your full application in the NC State wolfPAW application system.
Apply in Your Own Language*
*If you apply in your own language, you will be emailed instructions to access your application in the IEP wolfPAW application system in order to upload the required documents. You will then have to review and submit the final application in wolfPAW in order for your application to be considered complete.
- Your application will not be processed until you have submitted all required documents.
- It takes 7-10 business days to process your application. If you are accepted, you will receive an email when your acceptance packet has been mailed.
- English language students who enter the IEP without conditional admission are not guaranteed admission to a degree program. Once a student is enrolled in the IEP, they are no longer eligible to be considered for future conditional admission to the university. Students should apply directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or the Graduate School to be considered for conditional admission.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions throughout the admission process and check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for answers to our most common questions.