This option is for students who wish to join the NC State Intensive English Program directly as a full-time student (without conditional admission to an undergraduate or graduate degree program).
The Fall 2021 IEP semester includes
both IN-PERSON and online courses.
The university consistently monitor updates in travel restrictions and immigration policy.
Continue to check our website for updates
for the Spring 2022 semester.
Spring entry (January)
Summer entry (May)*
Fall entry (August)
*Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details before submitting an application for the summer semester. Level 4 is typically not offered during the summer due to low demand. The summer session is usually recommended for returning students only due to its shortened schedule and intensive nature. Summer is best for motivated new students who have at least a TOEFL iBT 70 or place into our Levels 5 and 6.
All applicants submit:
- IEP online application
- Copy of passport identification page
- Nonrefundable $150 IEP application fee
- High school diploma or proof of college courses (in English)
- Proof of English Proficiency (score must be less than one year old):
- Standardized test (minimum TOEFL iBT 50, TOEFL Essentials 6.0, IELTS Academic 5.5, PTE Academic 45, or Duolingo English Test 85)
- IEP online English proficiency test option
Submit only if you need a visa:
- Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR) section of the application (to obtain an I-20)
- Bank statement with proof of funds equal to the amount listed in the CFR section of the application OR a letter of financial guarantee if you are sponsored
Submit only if you are already in the United States:
- Visa Clearance Form (VCF) section of the application
- Supporting documentation
Submit only if you have dependents traveling with you:
- Passport copies for each dependent
- Proof of additional funds as requested in the CFR section of the application
Standardized Test Options*
|Test Type||Minimum Score Required|
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Essentials||6.0|
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)||50 (iBT) 467 (PBT)|
|IELTS (International English Language Testing System)||5.5|
|PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English)||45|
|Duolingo English Test||85 (prior to July 15, 2019: 28)|
*Test scores must be less than one year old to be accepted for English language study applicants.
Alternative English Proficiency Test Option
For full-time applicants who have either never taken a standardized test or have not taken one within the last calendar year, the IEP offers an alternative English proficiency test option for $60. This online test is designed for students interested in applying directly to the Intensive English Program*. You will need a computer with high internet speed and a camera (webcam) to take this test. The test takes approximately 90 minutes to complete and must be done during business hours (Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM).
*Please note that completion of this test does not guarantee admission to the IEP. You must obtain a minimum overall level of intermediate on your score report and meet all other admission requirements. Scores on this test are ONLY for admission to the IEP. They will NOT be used for admission decisions to any undergraduate or graduate programs at North Carolina State University.
Where are you in the application process timeline?
The IEP online English proficiency test can be used in place of a standardized test for direct admission to the IEP a maximum of 3 months before the start of the summer semester and up to 6 months before the first day of the fall and spring semesters.
The test can be taken by interested applicants more than 6 months before the start of the semester they are applying for in order to see if the program will be a good fit, however, a TOEFL or IELTS will still have to be submitted with the application if you choose to take the IEP online English proficiency test more than 6 months in advance.
English proficiency changes over time and if it is not actively used it is lost. For that reason, in order to get an accurate assessment and to ensure that students have enough time to get their immigration documents, this policy has been implemented.
- Your application will not be processed until you have submitted all required documents.
- It takes 7-10 business days to process your application. If you are accepted, you will receive an email when your acceptance packet has been mailed.
- English language students who enter the IEP without conditional admission are not guaranteed admission to a degree program. Once a student is enrolled in the IEP, they are no longer eligible to be considered for future conditional admission to the university. Students should apply directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or the Graduate School to be considered for conditional admission.
Email email@example.com if you have questions throughout the admission process and check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for answers to our most common questions.